Courtesy of the Gadgets RT
THE CURRENT "STATUS" OF SPECTRE 3.0
STACE [RT SysOp] at 01:20 EDT
Dave has given the O.K. to go ahead and "divulge" some of the "good-
ies" that will be in Spectre version 3.0. First of all, as of this
writing, Spectre version 3.0 is still in beta test. It is VERY close.
The remaining bugs are few and very minor in nature. On the other hand,
the added features are too many to count on both hands and feet! <grin>
DO NOT CALL GADGETS TO REQUEST SPECTRE VERSION 3.O OR TO ASK ABOUT THE
"STATUS" OF SPECTRE 3.0. Spectre 3.0 is NOT ready yet...it is getting
quite close but telephone calls requesting information about the availabi-
lity of version 3.0 will only tie up the valuable time needed to get 3.0
out the door. All registered users will be notified via the next issue of
the Gadgets Newsletter when Spectre 3.0 is ready to ship. The upgrade
price to Spectre 3.0 has not been set yet.
OK...that out of the way, here are some of the "goodies" you will find
waiting for you in the next revision of Spectre software!
* Spectre now supports up to 16 HD partitions
* The Spectre "function key" keyboard mapping has been changed as to
support the added HD partitions as well as to "standardize" Spectre's
other various key functions! Example: Color mode Scrunch and Scroll
modes have been moved to CONTROL-F1 and CONTROL F2.
* Alternate-Control-Delete does a Warmboot back into Mac mode
* Alternate-Control-RightShift-Delete does a coldboot into ST mode
(You see...standardization was the key word with this release!)
* Keypad and arrow keys now function the same as a Mac Plus
* Sound Manager (used in System 6.0+ and HyperCard) now works.
(HyperCard now has sound!!)
(Currently, Sound Manager does not work in 832K mode)
* Serial port advanced control call for setting baud rate works
(CDC Connect now works)
* LaserWriter driver now supported
(Print thru the serial port to a PostScript laser printer!)
* Spectre code now works with 68020 and 68030 CPUs.
* Mac mode *Spectre* disk formatting now supported
* Aladdin format disks now supported
* DOS Mounter and Apple File Exchange now work
(Use MS-DOS disks in Mac mode)
* New HD formatter (now called OOP instead of ACK) provides several
1) PARAM RAM/CONFIG PAGE settings are saved WITHOUT the need for progr-
ams like Disk Param INIT
2) New partition format now works properly with Disk First Aid, Disk
Express II and Mac HD backup programs
* MegaTalk option added to the Spectre menu
* User selectable vertical blank interrupt allows support of many MIDI
programs that rely on screen for timing, etc.
* Spectre menu page has complete redesign and new layout
* The Mac's RESTART menu option now works properly
* System's 6.0.4 and 6.0.5 now work 100% properly
* Numerous "clean-up" bug fixes to the Bus handler and serial drivers
allow many problem programs to work. Grammatik Mac now works. PageMa-
ker 4.0's print PostScript to disk now works. Many HyperCard stacks
that locked up before now work.
Well...believe it or not..there is more!! The README file that accom-
panies the beta 3.0 release is 9 1/2 single spaced pages long!! Hope
everyone is excited! <grin>
Non-GCR owners may wonder what use the Megatalk board could be to them.
Here's some comments from Dave Small (from the Gadgets by Small Roundtable
on GEnie) about that....
"Doug has software that does miracles with MegaTalk."
"He can currently dial into three online systems at the same time using
the Stalker desk accessory (a terminal program D/A). Or he can transfer
files at really high speed between systems MegaTalking in ST mode. I
forget the exact figures -- It was up in the megabit range, I believe."
"MegaTalk is primarily aimed at the Mac emulation market, of course, but
that doesn't mean those chips aren't just begging to be turned loose on